[whatwg] <canvas> shadow feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Apr 29 00:03:51 PDT 2009

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Oliver Hunt wrote:

> We could special case opacity 0, with 0,0 offset, and 0 blur radius as
> being a "do not draw shadow" flag perhaps?

Done.

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> I think that'll cause problems as well -- for example, let's say you had
> two overlapping paths that you wanted to draw a shadow behind.  The two
> paths are both solid and are supposed to be rendered as a single shape
> to the user.  If you drew them separately with shadows, as it stands
> now, the shadows would end up adding and would be denser in the overlap
> areas which isn't what the author would intend. I would suggest: [...]
>
> - if shadows aren't off, draw them normally -- one shadow per drawing
> operation
>
> - go the whole way and add beginLayer/endLayer, akin to
> CGContextBeginTransparencyLayer[WithRect]/EndTransparencyLayer.  Could
> also call it pushGroup/popGroup.  As a side benefit, this would provide
> a simple way to implement double-buffered rendering without needing to
> use two canvases.
> (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Reference/CGContext/Reference/reference.html#/
> /apple_ref/c/func/CGContextBeginTransparencyLayer)

I haven't done this yet but this does seem like the way to go long-term.
I've added a "v2" note in the spec suggesting this.

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Charles Pritchard wrote:

> The HTML Canvas Shadow specification requires implementors to create a
> procedural shader hook. This added complexity is a significant cost in
> time, and brings very little reward. Further, the functionality can be
> implemented by the user, with the ImageData API. It clutters the
> namespace with unnecessary variables, it's in some ways intended to
> gracefully degrade, and that's a backward step from what Canvas has
> evolved to.
>
> Shadows are not in wide use, I don't think it's a very controversial
> part of the specification, for anyone but implementors.

Shadows used to be optional, but having optional features is generally not
desired, and multiple browser vendors have said they're willing to
implement the feature. This is basically the bar for adding features, so I
haven't removed the feature from the spec.

I understand that it might be difficult to implement, however,
haveingmultiple vendors willing to implement something is rare enough that
we don't tend to ignore those opportunities.