[whatwg] Start position of media resources

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Apr 29 23:21:01 PDT 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > I have left the spec as is (except for adding startTime), which means
> > that currentTime can be greater than duration if startTime is not
> > zero.
>
> I think it would be safer to have the invariant that 0 <= currentTime <=
> duration. Most resources will probably have startTime==0 so authors will
> write scripts expecting these invariants, and their scripts will break
> when confronted with unusual resources with startTime>0.
>
> So I think a safer design would be to interpret currentTime as relative
> to the startTime, perhaps renaming startTime to 'timeOffset' instead?

I considered that, but it seems that in the streaming video ("DVR-like")
case, in the steady state where the data in the buffer is being thrown
away at the same rate as the video is being played you'd end up in a weird
position of the currentTime not changing despite the video playing, which
would likely be even more confusing.