[whatwg] Start position of media resources

David Singer singer at apple.com
Thu Apr 30 09:49:45 PDT 2009

At 16:45  +0000 30/04/09, Ian Hickson wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, David Singer wrote:
>>
>>  If the resource is 'seekable' then time is relevant, and I agree that
>>  time should be a normal play time and run from 0 to duration.
>
>That wouldn't address the use case of files that were split with non-zero
>start times, though, where the author wants the original range to be the
>one visible in the UI.

The complexity of edited files is only really dealt with by embedded
time-codes.  A single segment is the beginning of a large can of
worms;  what do you want to have happen when there are two segments
played consecutively?  Following your logic, there would be a
time-jump.

>>  If it's not seekable (live), then the UA is free, of course, to buffer
>>  and allow seeking in that buffer, but that's a UA thing. Duration is
>>  indefinite, and the origin value of current time is also so.
>
>The concern is with resources that are seekable yet indefinite -- and in
>fact, the spec encourages browsers to make streaming resources seekable
>(much like how a DVR makes streaming live TV seekable).

OK, in the case of server-supported DVR-like functionality, I agree
there is a question.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.