[whatwg] Usemap and ismap for canvas tag

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Apr 30 12:25:32 PDT 2009

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Greg Houston wrote:

> I would like to request that the canvas element get the same usemap and
> ismap properties that the img element has.

I haven't added this, because for the kind of retained-mode graphics that
this implies, SVG is a much better fit.

However, <canvas> does now have isPointInPath() which allows one to get
somewhat the same effect. When we add separate Path objects in the future,
this will even allow hit testing to be done just by walking through a
series of objects instead of recreating each shape for each hit test.