[whatwg] <video>/<audio> feedback

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 18:42:54 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:25 AM, David Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:

>>>  That seems quite reasonable, assuming the UA is allowed to seek to other
>>>  parts of the video also.

>>>  It sounds like it is. I don't understand the difference.
>>
>> Because media fragment URIs will not deliver the full resource like a
>> HTML page does, but will instead only provide the segment that is
>> specified with the temporal region.
>> http://example.com/video.ogg#t=5s  only retrieves the video from 5s to
>> the end, not from start to end.
>>
>> So you cannot scroll to the beginning of the video without another
>> retrieval action:
>
> which is fine.  I don't see the problem;  given a fragment we
> a) focus the user's attention on that fragment
> b) attempt to optimize network traffic to display that fragment as quickly
> as possible
>
> Neither of these stop
> c) the user from casting his attention elsewhere
> d) more network transactions being done to support this

re c):
It depends on how the UA displays it. If the UA displays the 5s offset
as the beginning of the video, then the user cannot easily jump to 0s
offset. I thought this was the whole purpose of the discussion:
whether we should encourage UAs to display just the addressed segment
in the timeline (which makes sense for a 5sec extract from a 2 hour
video) or whether we encourage UAs to display the timeline of the full
resource only. I only tried to clarify the differences for the UA and
what the user gets, supporting an earlier suggestion that UAs may want
to have a means for switching between full timeline and segment
timeline display. Ultimately, it's a UA problem and not a HTML5
problem.

Cheers,
Silvia.