[whatwg] Note on the DETAILS element

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Wed Aug 26 15:49:42 PDT 2009

The text for <details> begins with a definition:

"The hgroup element represents the heading of a section. The element
is used to group a set of h1–h6 elements when the heading has multiple
levels, such as subheadings, alternative titles, or taglines."

But then has this note immediately afterwards:

"The point of hgroup is to mask an h2 element (that acts as a
secondary title) from the outline algorithm."

As far as I can tell, this is incorrect. The point of an hgroup is
actually to mask *all but one* heading element from the outline
algorithm.

The note *does* apply to the examples provided:

<hgroup>
<h1>Dr. Strangelove</h1>
<h2>Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb</h2>
</hgroup>

...but wouldn't be true in this case:

<hgroup>
<h3>Dr. Strangelove</h3>
<h4>Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb</h4>
</hgroup>

In this case, the hgroup element is masking an h4 element (that acts
as a secondary title) from the outline algorithm.

Even in cases where the hgroup *is* masking an h2, the note would
still be incorrect because more heading elements can be hidden from
the outline algorithm. e.g.:

<hgroup>
<h1>Dr. Strangelove</h1>
<h2>Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb</h2>
<h3>By Stanley Kubrick</h3>
</hgroup>

The note would make sense if it were moved down to the examples and
prefaced with "In this case..."

--
Jeremy Keith

a d a c t i o