[whatwg] Storage mutex

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Sun Aug 30 09:18:58 PDT 2009

'Commit' implies that it hasn't been committed yet, which is not true. This
will be misleading to those developers that do understand the locking
semantics (and transactional semantics) and are looking to defeat them. With
the 'commit' naming, we'd be doing a diservice to exactly the sort of
developers this API is intended for, all to avoid exposing the fact that
locks actually are involved to the more casual developer.

Back to a comment long ago in this thread...

> Authors would be confused that there's no aquireLock() API.

Regardless of what you call it, authors are going to be confused by this
API. This is because the locking semantics are otherwise hidden, the lock
acquisition is implicit. This API provides an explicit means of unlocking.
No matter how you slice it... thats what's going on.

Without an understanding of the locking semantics, its going to be
confusing. Hiding those semantics is the source of the confusion to start
with. Not naming this this releaseStorageLock only adds to the confusion.