[whatwg] Question re: WSS

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 06:34:15 PDT 2009

Hi All

Since WebSockets seem to be talked about recently.  I've have a couple
of questions re: the http websocket implementation and https ie wss

1. Will wss be able to perform a normal TLS handshake over wss?
2. Will it be able to send an X.509 certificate down the wire?
3. Is it likely that the receiving websocket will be able to access
fields such as SubjectAltName in the certificate?

This will enable, for example, the foaf+ssl protocol to function over
wss, which would be excellent, as this provides both strong
authentication, and realtime data stream over a single browser call,
and will also give an entry point to the linked data world.

Last that I looked at the spec, this seemed likely, but I wasnt 100%
sure, if anyone could offer any detail on this, or a pointer to
implementations, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Melvin