[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sun Aug 9 02:20:55 PDT 2009

Hi Sylvia,

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 11:16:01AM +1000, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Chris McCormick<chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:24:42AM -0700, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> >> There are two use cases that I think are important: a codec
> >> implementation (let's use Vorbis),
> >> and an accessibility implementation, working with a <canvas> element.
> >
> > Here are a few more use-cases that many people would consider just as
> > important:
> >
> > * Browser based music software and synthesis toys.
> > * New types of 'algorithmic' music like that pioneered by Brian Eno.
> > * Browser based games which want to use procedural audio instead of
> > pre-rendered sound effects.
>
> Why don't you just implement an example in javascript to show off what
> you're talking about and make a use case for having it implemented
> inside the browsers?

Yes, you are right I should definately do that. What is the normal process for
that: write some code, post it up on my website, and then post here with a
link? Is that sufficient to get the attention of the browser implementors?

By 'implement an example in javascript' do you mean that I should implement an
example of what I wish the browsers could do, or implement an actual reference
vector library that the browsers could use? The former I can see myself doing,
but the latter has been on my TODO list long enough for me to know that I won't
get it done any time soon. :/

Chris.