[whatwg] Removing versioning from HTML

Adam Shannon ashannon1000 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 10:09:43 PDT 2009

> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Adam Shannon<ashannon1000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If we never cut things off then the spec will really never be finished
> > before 2020.
>
> Why does this matter? At the end of the day isn't the goal to have the
> largest number of interoperable features? Consider one reality where
> we try to limit what HTML5 is, and it has n features, and we get an
> average of n*.9 features interoperably implemented on browsers by
> 2020. Consider an alternate reality where we let things be a bit more
> open-ended and we get n*1.5*.9 features interoperably implemented by
> 2020.
>
> Isn't the second reality better?
>
> - a

If you are looking for quantity of features then yes it is better, but if
you are looking for quality of implementations then the latter is not as
geoLocation implemented in IE9 than "wasting" that update trying to decide
if we should reopen the codec issue (example of possible debate).
Sure, if we can wait 10 years for HTML5 then neither matters, but I don't
think that we have that option. A 20 year spec will not stand the test of
time nor provide the needed qualifications for the pace of development.

--
- Adam Shannon ( http://ashannon.us )