[whatwg] HTML5-warnings - request to publish as next heartbeat WD

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Aug 9 14:16:44 PDT 2009

On Aug 9, 2009, at 6:32 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:

> 3. A poll is created with two options:
>   [ ] Publish Ian's latest draft to address the heartbeat requirement.
>   [ ] Publish Ian's latest draft with Manu's warning language to
>       address the heartbeat requirement.

If we indeed have a draft, then I'd like to have the option to vote
yes or no on either draft independently, instead of either-or. For
example, some people may wish to vote for both, and I would like to
have that opportunity, though I would probably only exercise it if
Manu's draft is changed. Sam's call for multiple drafts was based on
the premise that they would be published independently, not that we'd
have either-or votes.

>   Whichever option that receives more than 50% of the vote will be
>   published. A tie will result in Ian's latest draft being published.
>
> Here is the complete diff-marked version:
> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html
>
> Here is a link to every warning that was added to the HTML5
> specification (this is the easiest way to review the changes):

I don't agree that this is a correct and reasonable set of
"controversial issues". Some of these are longstanding points of
contention, it is true. Others are areas where the spec has already
been changed or is in the process of being changed to address
concerns. Still others are very recent feedback that has not been
raised to the editor at all. Still others have not been properly
raised as feedback to at all. For example, I don't recall seeing any
objections to the garbage collection section.

If you limit your list to open issues that have been unresolved for at
least 6 months without meaningful progress (with reference to an issue
tracker issue, or a mailing list post, dating back at least 6 months)
and if you remove the other (seemingly unintended) technical
differences from Ian's draft (such as adding back the Database
section), then I will support publication of your draft in addition to
Ian's.

I don't think I can sign on to marking up a seemingly arbitrary grab
bag of issues.