[whatwg] Remove addCueRange/removeCueRanges

David Singer singer at apple.com
Thu Aug 13 10:31:41 PDT 2009

At 10:31  +0200 13/08/09, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We would like to request that
>addCueRange/removeCueRanges be dropped from the
>spec before going into Last Call. We are not
>satisfied with it and want to see it replaced
>with a solution that includes (scriptless) timed
>text (a.k.a captions/subtitles). I don't think
>that this will be finished in time for Last Call
>however, because we need implementor experience
>to write a good spec. However, we have no
>intention of implementing both cue ranges and
>its replacement, so it is better if the spec
>doesn't provide any solution for now.
>
>I have been briefly in contact with other
>browser vendors and while I cannot speak for
>them here, I hope those that agree will chime in
>if necessary.

We reluctantly agree.  We suggested a re-think a
year ago, and though that got some support, it
didn't get the editor's support.  We do not have
an implementation of the current spec., and don't
expect to.

<http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-July/015284.html>

We do think the functionality is important, and
are saddened to agree with this proposal, however.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.