[whatwg] <object> behavior

Andrew Oakley andrew at ado.is-a-geek.net
Fri Aug 14 02:44:45 PDT 2009

>> - Should the type attribute take precedence over the Content-Type header?
>
> No, I believe what the spec says here is the preferred behaviour. Unless
> this is incompatible with legacy content, we should try to move towards
> this behaviour.

OK, should the spec mention the change that Boris Zbarsky said had been
made for Gecko?  I guess this use makes up the majority of uses of
<object> on the web (although the Content-Type header should be set to
the same thing so it wouldn't normally matter).  Presumably this would
also change the rules for when to instantiate a new plugin, given that
the current rules are essentially "whenever a different plugin or data
would be loaded".

I'm also confused about the criteria for creating a nested browsing context.

> - If the resource type is an XML MIME type
> - If the resource type is HTML
> - If the resource type does not start with "image/"

Does that mean:
- xml_mime_type OR html OR not_image
  this is the same as xml_mime_type OR not_image
- xml_mime_type AND html AND not_image
  this would be application/xhtml+xml, application/ce-html+xml etc. but
  *not* text/html
- (xml_mime_type OR html) AND not_image
  makes sense but would certainly need clarification in the spec

Thanks for clarifying the other bits of the <object> spec.

--
Andrew Oakley