[whatwg] Proposed changes to the History API

Mike Wilson mikewse at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 21 03:02:28 PDT 2009

Justin Lebar wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
> > but here it seems like everything can just stay in memory...right?
>
> My thought was that if you had a tab open and restarted the browser,
> that the state objects would be there after the restart, so we'd have
> to serialize to disk.  I also thought that we'd persist this state
> data even after we take a Document out of memory.

This part begs a couple more questions :-)

What you're essentially saying here is that when restarting
the browser, you will also restore history data, correct?

For tabs that were open when the browser was closed, this
will mean that these will reappear after restart with full
history, being able to go Back and restore state on

But for pages that were explicitly closed, and then
navigated to in a "new" tab, will you restore the full
history in these as well? And is that really desired from
a user pov? (It seems you will be haunted by the same page
history forever, even if the corresponding server state
expired a long time ago.)

And if there has been several sessions in parallel on that
URL space, which one do you respawn for a navigation to a
related page in a new tab?

Best regards
Mike