[whatwg] Proposed changes to the History API

Mike Wilson mikewse at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:39:01 PDT 2009

Ah good, something made me think you were trying to populate
"fresh" history entries as well, which would have been
awkward.

We've been discussing general properties of the solution for
a while now. It would be interesting to see a concrete
example on how you intend the dynamics of your solution to
work. It would be great if you could outline the different
events and method calls used (in order) to save and restore
the history state object in the following situations:
- doing a "fresh" navigation from page#1 to page#2
- going back in history from page#2 to page#1

If we start with this simple example (simple hash nav and
no URL "impersonation") then maybe we can move on to more
advanced stuff later on. I'm assuming page#1 and page#2 are
perceived by the user as different parts of the application
and that he wants state saved for each of them when
navigating back and forth in history.

Best regards
Mike