[whatwg] Remove addCueRange/removeCueRanges

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 07:37:30 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Robert O'Callahan<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Max Romantschuk <max at romantschuk.fi> wrote:
>>
>> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>>
>>> Precision is influenced more strongly by the temporal
>>> resolution of the decoding pipeline rather than the polling resolution
>>> for currentTime. I doubt the previous implementations of "start" and
>>> "end" gave you a 3 sample accurate resolution even for wav files.
>>
>> I'll chime in here, having done extensive work with audio and video
>> codecs. With current codec implementations getting sample- or frame-accurate
>> resolution is largely a pipe dream. (Outside of the realm of platforms
>> dedicated to content production and playback.) Especially for video there
>> can be several seconds between keyframes, frame-accurate jumps requiring
>> complex buffering tricks.
>

> Those tricks aren't that hard, at least for Theora; we do them in Firefox.

Xiph has spent a long time on developing libraries that make seeking
simple for Ogg Theora/Vorbis and Firefox has the advantage of using
these libraries. I'm sure it's possible with other codecs /
containers, too. But it's not trivial.

Also, I still doubt that for lossy codecs a 3 sample accurate
resolution on audio can be provided reliably every single time. I
would be delighted to be proven wrong.

Silvia.