[whatwg] Root WAI-ARIA node for HTML (was: Re: [html5] r3657 - [acgiow] (2) First cut at ARIA integration.)

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 10:52:42 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Simon Pieters<simonp at opera.com> wrote:
> I think making elements in <head> visible and give them specific roles is
> not something authors would do, nor do I see any use case for doing so.
> However, making the ARIA root always be the document element seems simpler
> to implement and specify, so maybe the ARIA spec could be changed here?

Even invisible <link>s can be AT-significant, though, such as <link
rel=next> or <link rel=prev>.  These should, imo, be considered a part
of the document just as much as <a href="next-page">Next Page</a> in
the <body> is.

So, yeah, agreed, the ARIA root should always default to the document root.

~TJ