[whatwg] Text areas with pattern attributes?

Alex Vincent ajvincent at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 12:18:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Max Romantschuk<max at romantschuk.fi> wrote:
> I really don't see a case for not allowing pattern for a textarea. The
> implementation side should not be that different from the same attribute on
> a text input? Except for the client side overhead of parsing a large amount
> of data against a regex, what would be the drawbacks on having pattern on
> textareas?

Well, if the spec authors decide NOT to support the pattern attribute
on text areas, I would ask the spec authors to insert a note
(normative or not) explaining the rationale.

Reason:  I have this funny feeling I've asked about pattern attributes
on text areas before.  I think the question will be raised in the
future.

"All of this has happened before, and it will happen again."

-- Alexander J. Vincent, June 30, 2001