[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Tue Aug 25 15:40:14 PDT 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:

> The statement in section 4.3 doesn't appear to specify any
> behavior... its just an informational statement.
>
> The statement in section 6.1 suggests to prohibit the development of
> a UI that mentions local storage as a distinct repository seperate
> from cookies. This doesn't belong in the spec imho.
>
> I think both of these statements should be dropped from the spec.

If all browsers go through great lengths to ensure that this data is
as persistent as a local user file, but one browser decides it's only
a cache and can prune it at will, then developers cannot rely on it.

I don't think 4.3 should be dropped - I think it should be
strengthened to actually protect the data from any action not
authorized by the user.

Browsers who wish to treat it as a local cache that they can prune at
any time could give the user a checkbox labeled "Let me delete your
stored data whenever I want" and this would qualify.  ;)

Yes, that's an unrealistic, hyperbolic example, but I stand by the
point it illustrates!

~Brady

PS: I am ambivalent about section 6.1, other than to reiterate I don't
think the current language actually reflects the intended message.