[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 17:44:28 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Jeremy Orlow<jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:
> Ok, well I guess we should go ahead and have this discussion now.  :-)  Does
> anyone outside of Apple and Google have an opinion on the matter (since I
> think it's pretty clear where we both stand).

FWIW, I initially thought localStorage deserved to be treated more
like cookies, because I felt that localStorage wouldn't be reliable
from a user perspective anyway -- using different browsers, etc.  But
I was convinced by the analogy to bookmarks and settings, and
use-cases like prolonged offline use, or use that's offline from the
beginning (e.g., HTML/CSS/JS-based apps that you download and install
like desktop apps).  It seems valuable to guarantee the data will be
as persistent as bookmarks and so forth.