[whatwg] Adding alpha channel to <input type=color>

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Wed Aug 26 06:26:12 PDT 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 26.08.2009, 08:15 -0500 schrieb Tab Atkins Jr.:
> Many, though certainly not all, applications that allow color-choosing
> make alpha a part of the color-chooser dialog.  (Some, like GIMP,
> offer it as a separate choice, similar to your <input type=slider>
> suggestion.)

While having a separate slider thingy seems to be a nice workaround if
alpha doesn't make it into the spec, it puts additional burden on part
of the web developer and may preclude the use of platform-specific color
chooser widgets.

Additionally, it isn't clear to me how to extend a color chooser to
contain an alpha component later on (say, in HTML6) - if that is
possible at all in a simple, backwards-compatible way.

> CSS has also trained many of us authors that alpha is a component of
> colors with its rgba() syntax.

Interesting. I know of its existence, but almost never use it.

Cheers
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>