[whatwg] Storage mutex and cookies can lead to browser deadlock

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Wed Aug 26 15:24:14 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> Is there any data (or any way to collect the data) on how much of the web
>> IE and Chrome's current behavior has broken?  Given that there hasn't been
>> panic in the streets, I'm assuming approximately 0%?
>>

> We previously had a lengthy discussion about this.
>
> If a site has a cookie race that causes a problem in IE/Chrome one in every
> 10,000 page loads, are you comfortable with that?

I'm much more comfortable with that than the cost of a global mutex that all
cookies and LocalStorage share.  There are other ways to come about this
problem (like developer tools).

I'm pretty sure Chromium has no intention of implementing a global storage
mutex and putting all cookie access under it.  Has anyone heard anything
(either way) from Microsoft?  Are there any browsers moving to a
multi-event-loop (be it multi-threaded or multi-process) based model that
intend to implement this?  If not, then it would seem like the spec is not
grounded in reality.