[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Aug 26 16:35:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Michael Nordman <michaeln at google.com>wrote:

> A mandate from on high that says 'shall store forever and ever' will be
> promptly ignored because its impossible to make that guarantee.

That's not the proposed mandate.  The proposed mandate is "thou shalt not
discard successfully-written data without explicit user action", which seems
implementable to me.  Note that this doesn't make claims like "the hard
drive will not fail", and it doesn't claim that the UA is required to allow
the app to write whatever data it wants in the first place.

PK