[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Aug 27 17:53:03 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Linus Upson<linus at google.com> wrote:
> I don't think there is consensus at Google yet.
> I'm not saying that UAs shouldn't provide file-like lifetime semantics for
> storage. I'm just saying the user should decide, not the web page.

Linus, are you only considering traditional in-browser web apps that
don't go through an "install" process of any sort (i.e., I go to a URL
in my web browser)?

Would you hold a different opinion for different types of HTML5-based
applications (like the TiddlyWiki app that gets copied locally)? Or
would you require that all apps go through an install process that
acquires quota, permissions, etc.?

It seems like others are objecting to your position based on different
application models than the ones you have in mind.

-- Dirk