[whatwg] Spec comments, section 4.8

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 06:37:12 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Ian Hickson<ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> You need a better font.

Well, it's the default Ubuntu sans-serif font, I think.  I guess I'm
better off than the people viewing in IE6.  :)

>> Is "The user agent stops fetching the media data before it is completely
>> downloaded" really a good description for abort?  It can trigger during
>> the NETWORK_LOADED state, can't it?  Also, doesn't it only fire when the
>> load is aborted by the user or a script?
>
> Not sure what you mean. When else would it abort? What other description
> would you use?

"The user agent stops fetching the media data before it is completely
downloaded" implies that 1) it cannot occur after the media is
completely downloaded, and 2) it will fire if the user agent stops for
any reason, e.g., if the network connection fails or the server closes
the connection.  As far as I'm reading the normative portion of the
spec, neither of those points is true.  (Actually, this sentence also
seems to be normative?  At least, I don't see it set off as
informative by anything.)