[whatwg] Proposal for local-storage file management

Mike Wilson mikewse at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 11:47:23 PDT 2009

Right, trying to answer on-topic ;-)

I guess if the spec doesn't mention anything about where
localStorage is persisted, it leaves it up to every browser
to decide whether to ask the user or use a default
location. Earlier I didn't think of the possibility of
localStorage data being stored in different locations
for different apps, but that might be a good idea.

I can see both good and bad sides of this; it's good with
more control for expert users that want to put data in very
specific locations. On the other hand I would also want to
build apps that don't force users to make decisions about
files and folders at all, they should "just work".
Maybe the storage decision could be "high level", offering
simplified alternatives like
- browser's default storage location
- user account's "documents" location
- that SD card you just inserted

There still is the problem that Michael Nordman mentioned;
there is no way to identify specific applications's data so
f ex all apps under www.google.com would be routed into the
same file. Will I be able to make collective decisions
about data for collections of apps like that? Maybe. Or it
will be worked around by even more vanity host names.
(importantdocs.google.com, privatedocs.google.com, ... ;-)

Best regards
Mike