[whatwg] Changing postMessage() to allow sending unentangled ports

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Fri Aug 28 12:27:34 PDT 2009

I'm saying that we should differentiate between the "closed" state and
"cloned" state.
Implementors effectively need to do this anyway, because the spec says that
closed ports are still task sources, while cloned ports are not.

It makes sense to be able to post closed ports via postmessage() because
they are still task sources so the recipient could attach an onmessage
handler and pull messages off them.

It makes no sense to re-send an already-cloned port since it's not a task
source and can't ever be a task source again (no way to send messages to
it). Likewise it is no longer entangled and so you can't send messages via
it. Re-sending a cloned port is an error, and we should treat it as such.

-atw