[whatwg] createImageData should take unsigned long

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Mon Aug 31 04:06:16 PDT 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:00:45 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Philip Jägenstedt
> <philipj at opera.com>wrote:
>> Still, it seems unlikely that any browser will ever be able to switch to
>> anything but a 1:1 CSS pixel:device pixel ratio, as that would break all
>> existing pages assuming that getImageData(0, 0, 100, 100) returns a
>> 100x100
>> bitmap (because assuming that is much easier, unless you read the spec
>> carefully you're unlikely to know it could ever be any different).
>
> I agree, but Ian doesn't.

Me too. I pointed this out ages ago. At some point Philip looked at some
sites and showed that they relied on this. I've only seen Oliver and Ian
argue in favor of the current specification.

Once we get huge screens and lots of processing power people can just blow
up the canvas grid and then scale it down with CSS. Works just as well and
makes the data more portable.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/