[whatwg] Proposal: Extension to the base element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Dec 10 07:01:59 PST 2009

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Fabian Freiburg wrote:

> The "base" element is very helpful. Trouble is that it affects all
> relative links and "src" attributes. Especially for the "src" attributes
> it would be very useful if it could define a context or media type to
> which it belongs. With this it would be possible to define a "base" URI
> fore. g.  images, javascripts or stylesheets. Furthermore it would be
> very easy to use a CDN for serving static media files. There are
> probably some more advantages.

It's not exactly clear to me what problem this is solving. Isn't giving
absolute URLs pretty straight-forward?

It seems that anyone who is using a CDN wouldn't have any trouble just
generating the absolute URLs dynamically using server-side scripting or
templating, making this unnecessary on the client.

Note that in general the process for proposing new features is as
described here:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F

Should you wish to persue this idea, I recommend following the steps
described above.

Cheers,