[whatwg] WebSocket sub protocol name.

Fumitoshi Ukai (鵜飼文敏) ukai at chromium.org
Mon Dec 7 02:07:56 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> > > There doesn't seem to be a good reason to exclude them, and excluding
> > > them would lead to a more complicated processing model.
> >
> > In HTTP, field-content is TEXT or combinations of token, separators, and
> > quoted-string. TEXT, or token, separators excludes CTLs. So, we must use
> > quoted-string in WebSocket-Protocol: if protocol contains CTLs?
>
> Oh, I forgot that HTTP had the no-CTL restriction. Good point. I've
> updated the spec to be consistent with this.

In "The Web Sockets API", could you fix the following statement?
  The second, protocol, if present, specifies a sub-protocol that the server
must support for the connection to be successful. The sub-protocol name must
be an ASCII string with no U+000A LINE FEED (LF) or U+000D CARRIAGE RETURN
(CR) characters in it.

IIRC, in old spec draft, protocol should not be an empty string, but current
spec draft accepts it?

> > And, why is it limited to ASCII instead of UTF-8?
>
> Because the HTTP working group refuse to allow UTF-8 in HTTP headers for
> reasons that I don't really understand, and the handshake is supposed to
> be valid HTTP.

Hmm, then it should be mentioned in The Web Socket protocol 1.2 Protocol
overview?
It looks websocket message accept UTF-8 in handshake message.

--
ukai