[whatwg] style sheet blocking scripts

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 9 16:02:57 PST 2009

On 12/9/09 3:53 PM, James Robinson wrote:
> Hence the "in theory".  If WebKit did suspend script execution on
> requests for information that pending stylesheets might influence, then
> theory would match practice.  It currently does not (which I believe is
> contrary to what the spec says).  I'm curious if this actually
> negatively impacts anyone in the wild, as suspending script execution in
> the middle of a block to wait for a network load is generally not ideal.

Sure.  The Gecko behavior is to not run the inline script until the
stylesheets have loaded, just like webkit (and Gecko) does for
non-inline scripts.

Any inline script that asks for layout information is affected, right?
Good question on how much this is a problem in practice.  I don't have
data on that....

-Boris