[whatwg] "offscreen canvas" /Access to canvas functionality from a worker

Franz Buchinger fbuchinger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 00:45:19 PST 2009

Hi Sigbjorn,

Does this mean that I have to implement my own image scaling method in
Javascript when using web workers, instead of using the scale() method of
CanvasRenderingContext2D?

If so, I'd have to manually iterate over all pixels of the image, perform
some nearest-neighbour calculation and create a new ImageData Object with
the result...
This will be magnitudes sloooooooooower than scale() :(

I'd really appreciate if the "scale-images-before-upload" use case would be
considered better in the HTML5 spec. After all, images are the most
frequently uploaded file type and it has always been a hassle for users to
scale down their multi-megapixel photos manually before uploading them. Now
that we have the chance to solve this issue with pure-browser techniques, we
stop half-way.

Franz