[whatwg] Uploading directories of files

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Fri Dec 11 13:12:43 PST 2009

2009/12/11 Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette at google.com>

> Ok, I sense resistance to putting it in .name. What about .path, undefined
> in most cases except where there is an upload including files from multiple
> directories, in which case .path contains the path less any path components
> common to all 3 (sorry, it's early morning and I can't write well before
> having coffee).
>
> e.g.
>
> input.files[0].name="1.jpg"
> input.files[0].path="a/b"
> input.files[1].name="2.jpg"
> input.files[1].path="a/b"
> input.files[2].name="3.jpg"
> input.files[2].path="a/c"
>
> (Need to figure out the exact wording, as "a" is common to all 3 but if
> you're uploading the entire directory "a", it may make sense to include that
> in the path -- but I don't feel quite as strongly about that -- subfolders
> are certainly more important IMO.)

What happens if the user then adds a single file from a different directory?
Or if the user adds a second directory? Would the input element just
disallow that or would all the paths be updated?

Also, should the paths use the OS path separator or always be "/"? The
latter seems preferable to me. Less OS specific code in the web platform.

Ojan