[whatwg] Web API for speech recognition and synthesis

Olli Pettay Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi
Fri Dec 11 13:45:32 PST 2009

(Sending this 2nd time. Hopefully whatwg list doesn't bounce it back.)

On 12/11/09 6:05 AM, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
> Thanks for the discussion - cool to see more interest today also
> (http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-December/024453.html)
>
> I've hacked up a proof-of-concept JavaScript API for speech
> recognition and synthesis. It adds a navigator.speech object with
> these functions:
>
> void listen(ListenCallback callback, ListenOptions options);
> void speak(DOMString text, SpeakCallback callback, SpeakOptions options);

So if I read the examples correctly you're not using grammars anywhere.
I wonder how well does that work in real world cases. Of course if
the speech recognizer can handle everything well without grammars, the
result validation could be done in JS after the result is got from the
recognizer. But I think having support for grammars simplifies coding
and can make speech dialogs somewhat more manageable.

W3C has already standardized things like
http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-grammar/ and
http://www.w3.org/TR/semantic-interpretation/
and the latter one works quite nicely with JS.

Again, I think this kind of discussion should happen in W3C multimodal
WG. Though, I'm not sure how actively or how openly that working group
works atm.

-Olli