[whatwg] Passing more than JSON data to workers

Jan Fabry jan.fabry at monkeyman.be
Wed Dec 16 13:27:28 PST 2009

On 16 Dec 2009, at 19:33, Drew Wilson wrote:

> I'm not certain what a "deep copy" of the function means - would you need to copy the entire lexical scope of the function? For example, let's say you do this:
>
> var foo = 1;
>
> function setFoo(val) { foo = val; }
> function getFoo() { return foo; }
>
> worker.postMessage(setFoo);
> worker.postMessage(getFoo);
>
> foo = 2;
>
> Then, from worker code, I call the copy of getFoo() - what should it return (undefined? Does it pull over a copy of foo from the original lexical scope, in which case it's 1)?

In my idea, the free variables get bound at the moment you call postMessage. The worker receives two different objects, they have nothing in common.

After the first postMessage, the worker receives an object, that happens to be a function, bound to some invisible variable (similar to the "trick" to creates private variables in JS). When it is called, nothing visible happens, because the foo variable is not visible on the outside.

After the second postMessage, the worker receives a new object, also a function, bound to a variable with the value 1. If you call it, it returns 1. If I call the function that the first postMessage delivered, this does not affect the function that the second passed, since they are bound to different copies of the same origin variables, and thus in effect bound to different variables.

Image if we would create a JSONOnSteriods function. If you pass it anything that a regular JSON serializer can handle, it gives the same output (the regular serializer is recursive, so if you reverse the process, you have in effect created a deep copy). My JSONOnSteriods function would also be able to serialize functions (like you can do using setFoo.toString()), but also notice the free variables and bind them. If there is a client-side (userland?) function that would accept a function and return the names of the free variables, I think you could even simulate this in regular Javascript, but a solution in the VM would be less kludgy and probably much faster.

But please, shoot holes in my theory, because it is nothing more than that.

Greetings,

Jan Fabry