[whatwg] Passing more than JSON data to workers

Jan Fabry jan.fabry at monkeyman.be
Thu Dec 17 11:47:22 PST 2009

On 17 Dec 2009, at 19:26, Drew Wilson wrote:

> That was my point earlier - for this to work, if you post getX and setX over separately, they need to share a closure otherwise they don't work.
>
> Realistically, given Javascript's dynamic nature, you need to copy everything reachable via the function's scope chain, and recursively copy everything reachable via any reachable function's scope chain. In effect, copying a function to worker context means bringing over the entire reachable heap. Anything else you try to do is going to break in subtle ways when something in the source context's scope chain isn't in the destination context's scope chain.

Ah, there is my error. I thought closures were implemented by determining what the free variables of a function are, and then only keeping a reference to their value. For example:

(function() {
    var foo = 'banana';
    var bar = 'monkey';
    return function() {
        return [foo, eval('bar')];
    }
})()()

I thought it would return ['banana', undefined], but it returns ['banana', 'monkey']. The whole context object is preserved, not just what is "relevant at first sight" (which is why Boris was talking about analysis complexity).

> I understand that we might like to treat code running in a worker as if it were running in a same context as the parent page, so you could pass all the same things to it that you could pass to any Javascript function, but the situations are not identical - the only way something like this would be feasible would be by adding limitations (i.e. not copying over the scope chain of a function) that IMO fundamentally break Javascript semantics ; once you do that, you might as well just use the existing string + eval() mechanisms.

Yes, indeed, that would be confusing to explain what does and what doesn't work. I do suspect certain patterns will emerge to pass over functions and some self-defined context, but then there is no need to do this in VM code.

> -atw

Thank you all for your effort to explain to me why this is not possible. I had a feeling that when people from Firefox/MIT, Google and Apple (certainly when I saw the subject of Oliver's thesis) were telling me it was impossible, that there was something I was missing. Now I know. Thank you for this mind-altering experience!

Then my only other request remains: could the summary of this discussion be placed in the FAQ, so others won't think you were short-sighted for not including it?

Greetings,

Jan Fabry