[whatwg] window.print() when printing is not supported

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 06:45:17 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've had design requirements to include a print button in pages.
> Apparently many users *expect* such, and don't realize they can print
> from the File->Print option (and/or don't realize that this can print
> a printer-friendly version automatically).
>
> I include print stylesheets, so all this button ever does is call
> window.print() for them.

Wikipedia is the same deal.  We've supported print stylesheets for
ages, so there's absolutely no difference (at least in theory) between
printing a page, and clicking "Printable version" on the sidebar and
then printing the page.  But some users apparently expect a "print"
link of some type on the web page itself.