[whatwg] window.print() when printing is not supported

Kornel Lesinski kornel at geekhood.net
Mon Dec 28 10:43:49 PST 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:54:00 -0000, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi>
wrote:

> So I think it *might* make sense to throw some error if printing isn't
> supported. Or should browsers which don't support window.print() just
> not have print() method in the window object? (problem is that I'd guess
> everyone just expects .print() to be there)

Why would page need to know if printing works? What (useful) thing could
it do if it detects failed print?

If all you want is to display error when printing fails, that's a UA
issue. Why burden all sites with handling of error they can't fix? UA can
signal the error, and can do it better, e.g. offer option to configure a
printer.

I'm afraid that even letting pages know whether printing is available
might have negative consequences.

I can't print anything from computer I'm using at the moment, BUT if I
need to print something, I can save page/document and print it from
another computer. If pages could detect that my computer can't print, they
could wrongly assume I can't print anything at all, and hide print-related
options from me. I'd hate if ticket sites automatically decided to
snail-mail me tickets without offering option to print them myself.

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski