[whatwg] List Headers

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Feb 4 13:11:26 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> Pros of lh:
>
> * User agents could give a different default style to "LH" (e.g. bold in a
> visual medium, or reading "list header" in an speech medium).
> * Fewer bytes.
>
> Pros of traditional markup:
>
> * Can style sublists without introducing new features to CSS.
> * Works correctly in existing user agents (e.g. list navigation in screen
> readers).

There is also the issue that changing the parsing rules around <li> is
difficult. For example, the following:

    <ol>
     <lh> Fruit
      <li> Apple
      <li> Pear
     <lh> Vegetables
      <li> Carrot
      <li> Celery
    </ol>

...looks like it should work, but in practice the <lh> element for
Vegetables would end up inside the Pear <li> element, and changing that
would likely be problematic.

Given the variety of alternatives to <lh> that already exist in HTML4 and
that have been introduced in HTML5, I do not propose to add <lh>.