[whatwg] Spellchecking mark III

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 13 12:09:56 PST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> Regarding http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=2800&to=2801, my
> requests:
>
> 1. Change the literals "true"/"false" to "on"/"off", leaving the DOM values
> Boolean.

There are three of these attributes so far:

  autocomplete = on/off
  contenteditable = true/false
  draggable = true/false

I used true/false for spellcheck since it had slightly more other
attributes doing the same thing.

Also, it's been implemented twice now, so using other keywords is a
problem.

> 2. Check the spelling of the passage ("asits"!) :0)

Fixed.

> 3. Say that the default behavior for BODY is "on" and the default behavior
> for INPUT[type=text] is "off".

The default behavior is user-agent-dependent. This is intentional since
different users may have different needs.

> 4. (I understand that it is implicit that this "SHOULD indicate" does
> not make tiny clients that do not have the resources non-compliant?)

Correct.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, KÅ~YiÅ¡tof Želechovski wrote:

> Having interjected words marked as spelling errors is not a failure.
> The same phenomenon occurs with proper names and you cannot help that.
> The UI you described is inconsistent and it should be fixed.  The
> control for German should be labeled "Fehlerbeſchreibung" or whatever.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> I do not know much about UI standards but the rule that the answer
> should be formulated in the language of the question is rather
> straightforward.  It is just common sense.  Exceptions are questions
> like "How is that in German?".

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Bil Corry wrote:

> No one can control the language a user will choose to use in a textarea,
> regardless of the label used to describe it.
>
> Providing a localized textarea for every language might increase the
> odds of the user using the language the server prefers, but there is no
> guarantee.  And I'm unclear what problem that would ultimately solve.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> The majority of users will answer the question in the language of the
> question, this is the normal reaction.  Of course there is no guarantee
> but the odds of getting the expected result are high.  Assuming that the
> user's input will actually be read by somebody, providing proper markup
> will help the readers to get something they are able to read.

Based on the above feedback, I have left the spec as-is, allowing both
behaviors ("User agents may use the language of the element to determine
what spelling and grammar rules to use, or may use the user's preferred
language settings").