[whatwg] [html5] Rendering of interactive content

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 05:53:35 PST 2009

@Smylers:

So the whole rendering section is just for implementors and authors should
act if no default style sheet is present or worse, if it could be
everything, like a inline-block <div> or blue <table>, so that the author
should set all supported properties to initial or the HTML5 "expected"
value?
That is:
I, author, want consistent rendering on all plaforms and browser: I import
the HTML5 style sheet inside author ones.
I, implementor, want to provide backward-compatible rendering for those
author that didn't follow rule 1), I import HTML5 style sheet inside UA
defaults.
In both case, a downloadable stylesheet would be much appreciated.

@Benjamin:

1) Ian initially said that they chose the binding property (instead of
specifying appearance, border, color, etc.)  in order to allow easy
resetting of default look-and-feel for widgets
2) I thought that author could make assumptions about the default CSS,
Smylers convinced me that this cannot be true
3) at least in that case I know that if web site doesn't work, it is not my
fault, but user's. But this has a major flaw:
"customer is always right". In addition, once again, I was convinced that
you can't make assumption on UA rendering.
4)
input[type=text] {
border:1px solid blue;
font: "Arial" 10pt;
user-input: enabled;
user-modify: read-write;
cursor: url(I-beam.png);
}

looks different than

@appearance field {
border:1px solid ThreeDFace;
font:field;
user-input:enabled;
user-modify: read-write;
cursor: text;
}
@sys-color ThreeDFace rgb(0,0,255);
@sys-font field {
font-family: "Arial";
font-size: 10pt;
}
@sys-cursor text {
src: url(I-beam.png);
}
input[type=text] {
appearance:field;
}

assuming three imaginary at-rules to define UA skin at CSS level.

5) I agree with you, it may be impossible

6) either HTML5 defines everything, or it defines nothing

Giovanni