[whatwg] defer on style, depends

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 9 08:26:19 PST 2009

Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Well, Garrett is somewhat correct. For example in the following scenario:
>
> <link rel=stylesheet href="external.css">
> <script>
>   doStuff();
> </script>
>
> In gecko, when we parse the <script> tag, we'll block until all
> external stylesheets have finished loading before we start executing
> the script.

Strictly speaking, not quite.  We'll block until all external
stylesheets in the currently-selected style set have finished loading.
Alternate stylesheets do not block script execution.  So as of today,
one can simple use alternate stylesheets for sheets that one does not
need until end of pageload (though I fail to think of any cases where
this would be desirable), then change the title/rel when desired.  At
least in Gecko, this will do what Garrett wants.

-Boris