[whatwg] defer on style, depends

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 9 09:42:18 PST 2009

Garrett Smith wrote:
> The script's defer attribute does not work in a majority of
> implementations. For such browsers, it makes sense to put the script
> lower on the page for performance reasons, not before the linked
> stylesheets. Moving the deferred script from the bottom of the page to
> the head, just before the stylesheet would mean that those scripts
> would load first. This would prevent the page content from loading
> until those scripts had loaded. This would hurt performance in the
> majority of browsers in use today.
>
> Putting scripts at the bottom works in all browsers. Including a
> linked stylesheet in the head causes delays.

I'm not sure why you think that adding features to browsers to work
around bugs in those same browsers is the right approach.  Would just
fixing "defer" for scripts fix your issue?

> Whatever.

That's a very cogent and enlightening response, I'm sure, but it seems
to be going over my head.  Care to explain in terms someone of my
limited mental ability can understand?

-Boris