[whatwg] Hyphenation

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Feb 10 04:03:38 PST 2009

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Markus Ernst wrote:

> > While I appreciate the problems faced by Swedish, German, and othes, I
> > don't think this is a big enough problem to deserve solutions more
> > complicated than the soft hyphen at this time.
>
> Jukka Korpela stated that the intention of the soft hyphen is not
> actually a hyphenation hint: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/shy.html

As far as I can tell this is a non-issue; HTML5 defers to Unicode for the
semantics of its characters, and Unicode is clear here. HTML5 doesn't
support ISO 8859-1 (it always treats content labeled as such as a Win1252
mapping to Unicode).

> The wish for an in-text hyphenation mechanism is of course motivated by
> the habit of how we do it in office and layout softwares, where text and
> presentation are not separated. I totally agree that the appropriate
> place for it is presentation, thus CSS, and the CSS3 draft looks quite
> reasonable: http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-css3-gcpm-20070205/#hyphenation
>
> Anyway I don't find anything about the format of the hyphenation
> dictionary. To replace in-text hyphenation hints it is necessary to have
> several levels of hyphenation quality - the german word for "hyphenation
> mechanism" for example, "Trennungsmechanismus", you might want to have
> hyphentated at any possible place inside body text, but only at
> "Trennungs-mechanismus" in a headline. I see that this list is not the
> appropriate place for suggestions about CSS3 properties - maybe someone
> can point me to the appropriate place?

www-style at w3.org is the appropriate place. See the "Status of this
document" section of the draft you cite above.

Cheers,