[whatwg] Styling of area elements (as displayed within referencing image)

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Wed Feb 11 11:36:25 PST 2009

On Wednesday 2009-02-11 08:39 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007, L. David Baron wrote:
> >
> > The interaction of area elements with CSS styling is not defined in HTML
> > 5.  Since area elements are particularly unusual (in that they appear an
> > arbitrary number of times, whenever their containing map is linked to by
> > an img), I think it should be.
>
> Fixed. Please let me know if the new text is ok:
>
>    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#image-maps-0

That text seems ambiguous in the case of values like 'cursor:
inherit' on area elements (and the possibility of future values that
also take values from the parent element).  In particular, the text:
  # has a value explicitly specified (as opposed to inheriting it
  # from the element's parent)
seems self-contradictory regarding 'cursor: inherit'.

It also seems to require (for handling cursor:inherit) that the CSS
implementation expose information about whether the property was
specified on the element.  I don't know of other cases that require
this.

What Gecko does is simply "do selector matching based on the
document tree but then value computation as though the img element
were the parent".  (I think this is a similar concept to what the
XBL2 spec requires in some cases, although I don't remember for sure.)

-David