[whatwg] [html5] Rendering of interactive content

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Feb 11 13:37:46 PST 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> You could say that not only should authors never set the background
> color without setting the foreground color, they should also never set
> the background color without setting the *link* color.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

> But this still doesn't help if the UA (or a user stylesheet) uses
>
> span { color: green; }

Such a user would be to blame for again not setting the colour and
background (and link colour for links in the <span>) together.

> I don't think there's any way around this.  If a UA sets unexpected
> style rules, it *will* break some sites.  I imagine that the response to
> this is that while this may be so, it's possible that in some cases it
> will be a tradeoff against platform integration or something, and so it
> should still be up to the implementers to decide whether it's a good
> tradeoff in their case.  The expectation would be that for conventional
> browsers, it won't be.  This is pretty much just the definition of
> "should" in RFC2119.

I mostly agree, except that I think the current spec text (using "expected
to" rather than "should") more accurately represents what we want here.