[whatwg] False orthogonal nature :read-only and :disabled in WF2

Rikkert Koppes lists at rikkertkoppes.com
Thu Feb 12 08:30:01 PST 2009

Either I am rather confused or there are some misunderstandings still.
Some observations:

Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> Having them be orthogonal is far more useful to authors. For example,
>>> imagine the following stylesheet:

And
> I've made HTML5 say that :read-write doesn't apply to disabled controls.

(1) If :read-write does not apply to disabled controls, :read-only does
(since it applies to all other html elements - meaning they are mutually
exclusive). Hence :disabled implies :read-only (not vice versa for the
record) and hence :disabled and :read-only are not orthogonal.

The spec now says :read-write does not apply to input elements that do
NOT have the readonly attribute specified AND that are NOT disabled, or
in other words (by mutual exclusivity), :read-only applies to input
elements that have the readonly attribute specified OR are disabled.

Grtz,
Rikkert Koppes