[whatwg] List Headers

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Feb 12 21:00:04 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> > You can do this in HTML5, using <figure> and <legend>:
> >
> >    <figure>
> >     <legend>A header for the list</legend>
> >     <ul>
> >      <li>List item</li>
> >      <li>List item</li>
> >      <li>List item</li>
> >     </ul>
> >    </figure>
>
> Since figure is a sectioning root, a heading element could also be used
> here and it wouldn't affect the outline.  Please add an example of this
> use case to the spec.

whole bunch of examples, and it turns out <li> already has an example of a
list in a <figure> element.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Markus Ernst wrote:

> A different use case in the same problem field: Often you have lists
> that are actually part of a paragraph, but cannot be correctly
> associated with the paragraph:

> <ul>
>   <li>Apples</li>
>   <li>Pears</li>
> </ul>
>
> More appropriate markup for this could be achieved with the LH
> suggestion:

> <ul>
>   <lh>There are lots of fruits available, e.g.:</lh>
>   <li>Apples</li>
>   <li>Pears</li>
> </ul>
>
> Anyway I would consider it even more appropriate to allow the list
> inside a paragraph:

>   <ul>
>     <li>Apples</li>
>     <li>Pears</li>
>   </ul>
>
> But I admit I have no idea what other problems this could cause.

We had this in the spec originally, but we dropped it due to a variety of
issues (it made life harder for editors, it didn't work in text/html even
when it looked like it did, people got confused...).