[whatwg] defer on style, depends

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 13 00:34:19 PST 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > I'm not convinced either of these are really great solutions. I think it'd
> > be better just to have the script itself only block when it hits
> > CSS-dependent APIs (though I recognise that that is a much harder problem in
> > most rendering engines today).
>
> I'm not sure how you envision this working.  The run-to-completion
> semantics mean that while the script is working on the API call to
> return (which means that network events are being processed, etc), the
> following invariants need to be maintained (list very much not
> exhaustive):
>
> 1)  No setTimeout timers fire.
> 2)  No XMLHttpRequest state changes happen.
> 3)  No image load events fire.
> 4)  No stylesheet load events fire (for UAs that implement such an
>     event on their <link> elements, as Gecko would like to do).
> 5)  No user interaction with the page or other pages that can reach the
>     given page is allowed.
>
> #5 makes it unlikely that a UA would want to go this route at all.  #4
> means that this approach would be incompatible with reasonable style
> load events... #1, #2, #3 all mean that networking needs to
> differentiate between the set of stylesheets we're waiting on and
> everything else.

Yeah, fair enough.

By the way, the spec doesn't yet require the blocking behavior. I couldn't
work out how to do it. Could you elaborate on when exactly in the process
the style sheet is waited on? Does it happen for all scripts? For example,
if a script inserts a style sheet and then a script, does that script wait
for the style sheet to load?

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Garrett Smith wrote:

> If I put the script at the bottom of the page, and a linked stylesheet
> in the head, the script waits for the stylesheet.
>
> I want my page to load faster and this feature prevents it.

Put the script in the <head> before the style sheet and use the "defer"
attribute so that it runs the script as if it was at the end of the page.

> > It seems pretty simple to me; if you want the style to be loaded when
> > the script runs, put the style first. If you don't, put the script
> > first and defer it (or mark it async). Why should this not be enough?
>
> The implementation might delayed the page from rendering when it sees
> the stylesheet.

That's unrelated to scripts, though, right?

If you don't want the script to block page load, then speak to your
browser vendor. The spec doesn't require that.

> The script's defer attribute does not work in a majority of
> implementations. For such browsers, it makes sense to put the script
> lower on the page for performance reasons, not before the linked
> stylesheets. Moving the deferred script from the bottom of the page to
> the head, just before the stylesheet would mean that those scripts would
> load first. This would prevent the page content from loading until those
> scripts had loaded. This would hurt performance in the majority of
> browsers in use today.

Sure, but then the feature you describe doesn't work in today's browsers
either, so that seems like a wash.

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Garrett Smith wrote:

> There are two/three issues.
> 1) want to load stylesheets without having scripts block

Put the scripts first.

> 2) want to load stylesheets later, (infoPanel example)

Put the styles later.

> 3) (2), but want to make sure the stylesheet is loaded before the script runs.

Put the styles first.

> Example 1:
> <link independent type="text/css"  ...>
> <script...></script>
> I want the browser to:
> 1) load my stylesheet and then immediately begin to load script in parallel.

Put the script first with a defer or async attribute.

> Example 2
> <link defer type="text/css" id="lateBoundCSS" ...>
> </head>
> <script depends="lateBoundCSS"...></script>
> I want the browser to:
> 1) defer my linked stylesheet id="lateBoundCSS" until content is rendered
> 2) render content
> 3) upon encountering the deferred script, check the depends
> 4) upon finding Result(3) is "lateBoundCSS", wait for that resource to
> finish load before running.

I don't really think that makes sense. Why would you depend on just one
style sheet and not the others? What if the others change the styles of
the content you're dealing with?

You could do this, however, using a 'load' event listener on the <link>
(though the spec doesn't yet support that -- I'm trying to reduce the
amount of stuff I do using progress events until progress events is
further along REC track), or, more simply, by just waiting for the
document-wide 'load' event (though that won't wait for just the style
sheet, it'll wait for everything).

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Not sure what this example is, or why this is insufficienty served by,
> say, putting the <link> at the end of the HTML (assuming HTML allowed
> that, of course).

The markup doesn't allow it but you can always do it from script.

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Garrett Smith wrote:

> In browsers that do not support defer, the scripts must be loaded before
> subsequent content is loaded. The scripts will block content from
> rendering below. Scripts will also prevent download of linked
> stylesheets that appear after in the source. This type of design would
> also have a negative effect on browsers that do *not* support defer
> because it means that the scripts appear first, before any linked
> stylesheets, and cannot be included at the bottom (which is common to do
> for performance reasons).

Right, but... so would your proposal, no?

Incidentally, you'll find that your proposals will probably get further if
you write shorter, less argumentative, and politer e-mails.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> I'm proposing flagging scripts that don't depend on stylesheets

It seems like it is likely that such a feature would end up used before it
works, with the result being that implementors get forced to not support
it (a typical "race to the bottom" seen in browser implementation).