[whatwg] Can AUDIO/VIDEO element have a "balance" attribute

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Feb 19 19:16:41 PST 2009

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> While I don't strongly object to the suggestion as such, there are 2
> things I want to point out.
>
> 1. It is not clear (to me at least) what balance means for anything by
> mono/stereo audio. What is the expected behaviour for 5.1 audio?
>
> 2. Balance is just one kind of audio filter effect. The more "filter"
> features are added the tougher the requirements on the user agent and
> the media framework backend they use will be.
>
> Is there a use case for having the same LARGE media file played back
> with different balance settings? All the obvious use cases would be
> short sound effects where creating duplicate versions of the files might
> be a better trade-off than introducing more complexity in the API.

I think that this is the kind of thing we will want to expose in the
future, especially, e.g., in conjunction with a 3D Canvas API.

I've noted this as a feature we will want to add in a future version of
the <audio> API, but I don't think we should add it yet since we're still
waiting for the browser vendors to ship a solid implementation of the API
as it stands today.